Natural Gas was introduced to Egyptian local market in 1975 when the first natural gas field ABU MADI was put on stream, since then a remarkable progress has been achieved
- Proven gas reserves have reached 78.1 TSCF by June 2010.
- Cumulative gas production till June. 2010 is 27.06 TCF.
- Total natural gas production has reached 2.36 TCF during 2009/2010 including gas for export out of which 1.467 TCF were for local consumption representing 56% of local natural gas consumption to the electricity sector which is the largest gas consuming sector.
- Production of the condensate reached 43.5 MMBBL , production of LPG reached 1.42 MMTON , propane reached 635 MTON and the production of ethane / propane reached 475 MTON.
- The national gas grid has expanded and reached 17056 km with capacity reached 160 million m3 in June 2009.