Planning and Gas projects
- Encourage investment in natural gas activities and promote the private sector/foreign investments in gas projects.
- Participate in the preparation of the national gas plan, and prepare the investment budget for gas projects based on execution priorities and available resources budget.
- Execute gas connection projects through expanding high-pressure pipelines, metering, reduction and filtration stations, monitoring & controlling systems for all consuming sector (electricity, industrial, commercial residential, etc.).
- Follow up implementation of the Gas Projects through all phases versus project schedule to eliminate obstacles (if any).
- Implement EGAS plan for upgrading the national gas grid and preserve EGAS assets, following the standard maintenance procedures for gas pipeline projects and its attachments (periodic maintenance, preventive/predictive maintenance, cathodic protection, etc.).
- Expand use of gas as fuel for vehicles CNG through the establishment of compressed natural gas stations and conversion centers
- Coordinate to prepare EGAS plans for main gas activities, and follow-up reports (monthly, quarterly & annual reports), as well as non-periodical requested reports.
- Take part of negotiations over loans provided by funding entities, while assuring EGAS financial policies implementation towards the listed projects in the investment budget.
- Develop techno-economic studies for the Gas Projects (Gas processing / liquefaction/ regasification, offshore platforms, gas connection, etc.) subject to implementation by the Petroleum sector/contracting companies and provide technical consultation throughout the project phases.
- Participate in reviewing technical documents of EGAS tenders related to gas projects and share in tenders’ evaluation process.
- Take part in all gas agreements/contracts related to gas transmission, distribution, marketing and pricing).
- Promote the use of local produced gas equipment to maximize local component in gas projects.
- Engage in assessing:
- The Gas Projects’ consultants /contractors /subcontracts qualification.
- Interested suppliers to be interested within EGAS approved suppliers list.
- Qualifications of foreign partner’s representatives on Joint Venture organizations.
- Carry out research and prepare reports related to Gas Projects and issue regular reports on EGAS activities.
- Prepare & Coordinate EGAS general assembly meetings’ presentations.
- Participate in developing EGAS website and run its regular updates.
Natural Gas Local Distribution and Connection:
- Total number of residential consumers connected with natural gas reached 8.8 million consumers since commencing the activity in 1981 till June 2018
- During the fiscal year 2017/2018 number of residential consumers connected with natural gas reached about 598 thousand consumers including 114 thousand in Upper Egypt governorates, (Gas connection rates were 50 thousand units annually during 80s and 90s).
- Commercial consumers reached 1911 including 576 bakeries bringing total to 18776 commercial consumers till June 2018, (Including 7486 bakeries).
- During 2017/2018 total investments spent by LDC's on natural gas connections reached 1983 million L.E.
- Industrial gas consumers reached 91 including 42 brick kilns bringing total number to 2491 Industrial consumers including 415 brick kilns till June 2018
- 2 power stations started working with natural gas during 2017/2018, in coordination between ministries of Petroleum & Electricity, so that total number of power stations working with natural gas has reached 58 power stations all over Egypt till June 2018
Compressed Natural Gas "CNG"
Within the framework of achieving the national strategic goal to preserve the environment, the activity of using Compressed Natural Gas in vehicles has expanded as environmental clean fuel, to reduce liquid fuel imports by gradual replacement of natural gas for all vehicles, through the coordination between the Ministry of Environment and local administrations all over the governorates.
- Total converted vehicles reached 243688 since starting CNG activity till June 2018
- Converted vehicles during 2017/2018 reached 13732 vehicles.
- These vehicles were converted through 71 conversion centers, and they are being fuelled through 187 CNG stations, affiliated to 6 CNG companies.
New Conversion Centers: 1 conversion center were established during this year 2017/2018:
- (Asyut) affiliated to Gastec
New CNG Stations: 4 CNG stations were established during 2017/2018:
- (kabadaia 2) Port Said affiliated to Car Gas.
- (Asyut A & B) affiliated to Gastec.
- (Alsawah) affiliated to Shell.